Saturday, June 11, 2011

Memories of Mulberries

Visiting my Grampa and Gramma J's in the summer time I remember fondly their mulberry tree in their back yard, running around with my siblings and cousins and when in season picking the mulberry's from their tree. It was always a treat when they finally were in season. I remember the smell and still love the taste. So whenever I pleasantly run into a mulberry tree I am flooded with childhood memories again and feel like I'm a little girl eating candy off a tree:)

But what do you do with mulberries? I wonder if my Gramma J ever made jam or pie with them? We didn't pick enough for a pie or jam but I found this yummy recipe for muffins and they were good! Thank you God for mulberry trees in our favorite park in the neighborhood!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is so funny! I also loved the mulberry trees growing up. But, now that we have our own place we have them all over and they are a nuisance. So, Jordan is chopping them down left and right. Don't worry, there are still more. I never even thought to look up recipes for them!
Katie J-M H

MamaW said...

I wish I had been old enough at the time to make better memories. All I remember is the tree and that it was a mulberry tree. I remember the yard, but not the smell. and no specific memory, just the picture of it. :( Now I'm sad. Can't we go back just for a moment? I miss you. I wish I could have had tea and a mulberry muffin with you and the kids. Jackie would've loved it. We have blueberries to do something with before they go bad....I'm clueless on jam-making, so I thought maybe cobbler? We shall see. Much love to you and your sweet family so far away from me.