Tuesday, November 22, 2016

Alpha 1


I was diagnosed with Alpha 1 Antitrypsin deficiency a little over a year and a half ago, not fully understanding all of what that meant until last winter. Then it really sunk in that life was going to look a little different and that we as a family were going to have to change some things. Alpha 1 affects my lungs and liver, not providing them with any protection, which is why I have a mild case of emphysema...thankfully my liver is in good health so far.

At first it was difficult to face a chronic illness, I had to grieve my lack of health as I had known it and come to terms with how this deficiency progresses and the possibilities of things I might face in the future. I went through some trying months of depression, but the Lord! The Lord was my and is my Rock that carried me when all I could do is lay flat on my back. He was patient and brought me to the other side of the valley, the side where I see His amazing grace and tender care. I'm so thankful for His protection, even though I have a severe dificiency I only have a mild case of emphysema so far. I am thankful for early discovery so I could begin my treatments. I am thankful I receive assistance to pay for these treatments so far. I am thankful that my children are getting used to the nurses coming each week and the whole procedure. I am thankful for my husband and his care for me, buying air purifiers, vacuuming for me, being mindful I don't breathe fumes in, etc. I am thankful I have my Mom, even though she's many mile away, she is there to listen and to pray for me. I am thankful for many family and friends who have been a great spiritual support, as well as, a support in other ways, especially for babysitting for my many doctor appointments.

So looking back on this past year, all I can say is God is good. He does not promise a life without trials or hardships, He promises to be with us as we pass through our trials and hardships. I am so thankful I have Him with me which brings me peace to know that even though the future might look different than what I want, He will never leave me and He goes before me. I know that when the next valley comes, I have a Rock to stand on (or maybe to lay flat on) and that is sure when the rest of life is not!

No comments: