Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Dropped In Our Lap

Lydia and I were sitting on the back porch and all the sudden we heard a thud, a squirrel nest fell about 25 feet out of a tree and landed in our neighbors yard. The Mommy squirrel took off and ran up the tree. I went over and looked to see if there was anything else in the nest and sure enough...babies. What was I going to do? I waited and we watched to see if the mommy was going to return, she didn't in the hour we waited and I was worried the neighbors would come home and let their dogs out so I carried the nest in our yard and watched some more.. no mommy. I called Daddy and asked if we could try and help them, could he pick up some puppy milk and get a container for them. He was all for it which surprised me. When he got home I put three babies in our aquarium, (the forth one had died) and put a light on them. I tried to feed them the first time but no luck. After about an hour I tried again and they all gobbled it down! We were so thankful but after reading more on baby squirrels we learned that it is about a 5+ month process and it was difficult to get them trained for the wild and when we would let them go they probably would not survive so we contacted a somewhat local wildlife rehabilitator who was very nice and very willing to take them for us if we could transport them. We took a family road trip to the wildlife center where they had so many wild animals they were caring for...it was pretty neat. The lady put them in an incubator and said that they looked about a week old, they were healthy and were not dehydrated which I was glad to hear. We can call in a week or so and see how they are doing. I was sad to have to give them up, sad that the kids wouldn't be able to experience them growing but happy that they have been given their best chance at surviving.

No comments: